This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Sujata Din 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

Thank you for joining the healthy Ramazaan Program. Here our health coach Sujata Din will be sharing healthy recipes for ramazan every week.ramadan1

admin
    Keymaster

farah here

aghna javed
    Participant

Great idea… looking fwd to the recipes!

Sujata Din
    Participant

Welcome to the Healthy Ramazaan Program. Look forward to sharing recipes and health tips with you on this forum.

Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 12.32.50 am

Shazia Habib
    Participant

Dear Sujata, looking forward to some Sehri options that will keep me going for the 17+hour fast duration in Europe. What can you suggest? I’m thinking of
    oatmeal
    boiled egg
    whole wheat toast
    butter and Dalfour sugar free jam
    alternative spread would be natural peanut butter eg smuckers for me.
    I want to keep my weight in control but maintain my energy levels. Any suggestions? Thanks 🙂

Sujata Din
    Participant

Hi Shazia, Those are all good options to start the day, do try and vary the Sehri options so you don’t get bored and have variety.

E.g. on the first day can have oats with boiled eggs, the second day whole wheat toast with nut butter and scrambled eggs, and on another day you can have a smoothie made with fresh fruits, oats, nuts or seeds.

Fruits are also good to include in the morning. Stay hydrated, have water and avoid drinking too much caffeine.

Huma Khan
    Participant

hello looking forward to getting some interesting recipes. Please can you give some healthy options for dahi baras. Are the fattening?

Shazia Habib
    Participant

Thanks Sujata. Am going for the smoothie option tomorrow since there are delicious fresh berries in season here! 🙂

Sujata Din
    Participant

Dear everyone,

I will be sharing 3 recipes a week, the first one is a healthier version of dahi vadas. Instead of frying them I have steamed and baked them.

Dahi Vadas

1/2 cup urad dal
    1/4 cup red lentils
    1 teaspoon grated ginger
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    4 cups of yogurt
    1-teaspoon cumin (freshly ground)
    2 red chilies
    1/2 cup, chopped coriander
    3 tbsp tamarind chutney
    Sea salt to taste

Soak the lentils overnight. Discard the water the lentils were soaked in and wash the lentils, then drain the water. Blend the mixed lentils in a food processor until smooth (you may need a few spoons of water if it’s too thick). Add the baking soda and ginger to this mixture.

You can either:
    Steam using an idli maker. Lightly oil the idli dishes and spoon about 1 tablespoon of vada mixture in each dish. Steam the vadas for about 15 minutes.
    To bake, lightly oil quiche or cup cake cases and spoon 1 tablespoon of vada mixture. Bake in a preheated 180˚C for 40 minutes.

Once the vadas are cooked let them cool. Then submerge vadas in warm water for about 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully squeeze the water out, taking care not to break the vadas.

In a large bowl mix the yogurt with the cumin, coriander, salt and chilies. Lay the vadas in a large flat bowl and pour yogurt mixture over. Garnish with coriander leaves and tamarind chutney and serve chilled. Serves 10

unnamed-7

Huma Khan
    Participant

Thankyou. I will try it asap. excited.

Sujata Din
    Participant

Huma, Do try it and share how it tasted.

Aisha Osman
    Participant

Hi Sujata,thanks for the recipe but I don’t have an idli maker. How can I make this without one.
    Secondly. Sometimes my kids and I are too sleepy to get up at Sehri. And we sleep late anyway with the summer holidays here. I end up Giving them some dates and a butter sandwich to eat. And drink lots of water. That way they can sleep through the night. Are there any other healthier alternatives? Thank you

Rumana Yasin
    Participant

The dahi vada recipe looks very interesting. I didn’t know that they can be baked. That’s definitely worth trying!

Ayesha faiz
    Participant

It looks like a very interesting recipee, but same question if we dont have an idli maker tray what do we use?

Sujata Din
    Participant

If you don’t have an idli maker you can use a steamer and place some small bowls on it (with the vada mixture in it).

I tried both steaming and baking as wanted to see if there was any difference in taste or texture. There was none and as baking is easier, would recommend doing that especially if you don’t have an idli maker. I used small quiche cases to bake them and you can also use cup cake cases.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Registration